about us

A social group of dedicated fly fishers who are passionate about fly fishing in the tropical north of Australia and equally as passionate about the close camaraderie this sport brings. This passion and dedication led to the creation of the NT Flyfishers Social Mob blog site; an interactive and creative outlet where everyone can share our wonderful fly fishing adventures and link into the “after fishing” social events we enjoy in this incredible part of the world.

Monday 11 November 2013

Busted off - Twice, busted, and done!

From the Stig;

I launched in the predawn light at east arm boat ramp Sunday morning only a few trailers in car park when I launched, totally full when I pulled out.even trailers parked along road leading to ramp. Despite plenty of birds and fish slashing along the way - I drove straight to wickham point a kilometre or so away.

High tide was at 10, so the tide would soon be nearly half way in, this meant the water would still be funnelling around the rocky points concentrating the bait and thus the Pelagics. From the moment I anchored, I had a blast, casting to pods of fish working the area right to the top of the tide and then as the tide starting to drop, more of the same, but on the other side of the rock and sand bars with water flowing over the structure instead of around - changing the options slightly.

I started off using a small white clouser - for which I had hits but not enthusiastic ones, so tried a surface popper and had some awesome surface strikes but no takes. Then tied on a larger blue over white clouser fly 10cm long but the fish would follow all the to the boat viciously slashing at the back of the fly but not really eating it.

So I tied on a pink white clouser big silver eyes about 7cm long and did they like it or what?  They took this fly so hard that many times they had it lodged right down their throats!
     
All day I caught fish when I cast into the vicinity of surface action. Sometimes the action was sub surface with broadside flashes of gold and silver down deep as an indicator of where to cast.  I caught countless trevally around 45cm - real sluggers in a fight,  but the queenies were most prevalent ranging from small to medium 60cm fish.



As for the busted off........
At one time, I was on to a patch of queenies when out of nowhere a monster 80cm+ threadfin salmon coming from the side took the fly , shoving aside the small queenie chasing the fly not metres from the boat only just below the surface. Visually in the clear water, a unique experience to witness. It took off strongly and 15minutes later, with about 100m backing off the reel it busted me off, never saw it again - during the fight it would take a bit of line then it would take a lot. The leader was very frayed where it broke off so must have worn through. A bit disappointing not to get it to boat as I think threadfin are the best tasting fish in salt water. Awesome fighters too!

Very next cast while tying on a new fly, a bow wave could be seen coming towards the rocky point, with baitfish and jelly prawns jumping wildly in every direction along its path. I tied on that fly so rapidly hoping my knot would be sufficient given that the shaking of my hands in anticipation of the big fish opportunity was not helping - 'buck fever' I think it's called.

Just it time the knot was finished between the many rapid glances at the approaching bow wave, finally one quick cast right on target and first strip BANG - straight on - but no fight just meekly coming to the boat, even got the net out early but when the huge fish saw me, the boat and net - it went ballistic to put it mildly.

Line zipped out at an amazing speed (no big joining knot to hamper the out going line like last time - I fixed that on all my reels after the last trip and lost fish) 10-15minutes later I got it back to the boat and off it went again - twice this occurred. First run it took nearly all my 200 metres of backing and I was ready to drop anchor and chase it but it turned back to me.

Each run was a little shorter than the next but just as strong.

The next net shot arrived and I missed again - bugger! Double bugger! This fish was huge - an easy 120+cm, massively deep in shoulder width and body depth - one of the biggest fish I have had on fly since coming to Darwin, almost close enough to touch - TWICE!!! A bit like the time I was on a plane sitting next to a super model - but that was two things to touch, not close enough to touch twice! Missed the touch that time too!

At this last attempt to net the fish it took off again and about 10m from the boat it did a massive missile launch to what seemed several meters into the air, where it twisted and wrapped the leader around its body breaking me off.

I wasn't exactly happy but smiling all the same for the experience. 35minutes of mayhem and fun.
Love my fly fishing! Bring it on!

As for the busted....
Third cast I of the day, I finally broke my first fly rod while fly fishing in over 35years of fly fishing
This while high sticking the rod trying to grab line to haul in a small trevally. Silly old bugger!%#£€¥% -  this did piss me off.

Hope TFO have a good return policy for rods won in competitions.

Lastly, the 'done'......
I was so exhausted from the heat, fish caught and two monster fish missed, from casting stripping fighting and releasing fish after fish for the last 5+hours (and pissed about the broken rod tip of my favourite 7wt) that I was done, and it was only 11:30am when I left the fish still slashing into the bait
I was home in 20 minutes later, relaxing in the pool with a drink and lunch.

Really, Who would want to live in a capital city anywhere else in Australia! Go, Darwin with so much awesome fly fishing at your doorstep


No comments:

Post a Comment